St George's House,
Northern Police Orphanage. 1898-1956  Harrogate, Yorkshire, England.

 

 

 

Home Page
Catherine Gurney
St George's Buildings

Miss E. Chapman
Miss E. M. Knocker
Miss E. Duke Turner
Staff
Admission
Facilities
Gardens
Boys & Girls
Assembly
Education/Religion
At Play
Sports/Phys Ed
Scouts/Guides
Emergency Drill
Health/Work Duties
Plays/Pantomimes
Outings/Holidays
Christmas/Winter
Leaving St George's
The Services
Life at St George's
Reunions
List of Children
Thank you
Story of St George's
North meets South
Contact/Links
News & Events

Memories
Police Connections
From the Past
Annual Reports
St Andrew's
Saint George-History
Memorials
Archives
The Children Trust
Police Insignias

       
       


       

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

      

 


St George's House Buildings 

The original location:  Otley Road, Harrogate, Yorkshire, England.  1897 - 1955

                                              
                                              
The original St George's building showing later additions.
 

In 1898, in response to the desire of many of the Police, St George's House was opened at Harrogate, Yorkshire, under the title of the Northern Police Orphanage. The property, called St George's, consisting of a large house and nearly twelve acres of land had been secured by Miss Gurney in 1897 and placed in the hands of Trustees (the Christian Police Trust Corporation Ltd).
At first, a portion of the premises was devoted to the use of the Police Convalescents but in 1902-03 a new building was erected
within the St George's grounds for the Northern Police Convalescent Home, a service which is still being provided to this day.

                                        Ground Floor Plan of Northern Police Orphanage c1900
                                        Later renamed St George's House. 

                     

                                                                           Ground Floor

A Boys' Toilet I Girls' Matrons' Sitting Room Q Maids' Sitting & Dining Room
B Boiler/Heating Room J Girls' Play Room R Superintendant's Sitting/Dining Room
C Coal Storage K Sewing Room S Superintendant's Office
D Laundry L Foyer T Entrance Vestibule
E Childrens' Pantry & Wash Room M Surgery facilities U Superintendant's Assistant's Office
F Superintendant/Visitors Toilet N Surgery V Children's Assembly Room
G Kitchen O Food Store    
H Children's Dining Room P Food Store    

                                         
                                         First
Floor Plan of Northern Police Orphanage c1900
                                                   Later renamed St George's House. 

                     

                                                                           First Floor

A Senior Girls' Toilets I Girls' Maids' Bedroom Q Junior Boys' Dormitory
B Senior Girls' Bathroom J Girls' Maids' Bedroom R Junior Boys' Dormitory
C Senior Girls' Dormitory K Sewing Room S Nursery
D Senior Girls' Dormitory L Superintendant's Bathroom    
E Junior Girls' Dormitory M Superintendant's Bedroom    
F Junior Girls' Dormitory N Senior Girls' Dormitory    
G Junior Girls' Bathroom/Toilet O Junior Boys' Dormitory    
H Senior Girls' Matron Bedroom P Junior Boys' Dormitory    

                                                                 

Henry Sutton Chorley MA Oxon, one of the principals of the Architectural group Chorley, Connon & Chorley who worked on the designs of some of St George’s later buildings.

Since the opening of St George's House, a sanatorium,  gardener's cottage and a large gymnasium were added to the original building, a portion of which  in 1914, of necessity was rebuilt and enlarged, with a laundry added.
In 1928-29 a wing for the boys, comprising two dormitories, a study/common room and bedrooms for the staff, was inserted between the house and the gymnasium, while in 1930-31 a wing for the girls, called the 'Gurney Wing', was added to the back of the house overlooking Harlow Moor Road. This wing consists of a large playroom for the girls, a dormitory above for little girls and one above that for the little boys.
The girls' downstairs washroom was also included in the wing, modernised and increased in size.
                     


               
 
The main entrance foyer of the original
  structure  showing Miss Knocker's Study on the
  left hand side and Miss Adam's office to the
  right hand side.

 


View showing all of the main buildings visible from the front.  

Building     1                              2                               3                    4                5    6
 

1 South Wing Extension:Food Store/Pantries/ Staff Bedrooms/Bathrooms//Sewing Room/ Sick Wing located to rear of this building
2 Original Building:        Foyer/Miss Knocker's Study/Dining Room/Day Cloak Room/Maids Dining Room/Pantry/Miss Adams'   
                                            Office/Assembly-Music-Religious Instruction Room/Management & Staff Bedrooms/Girls’ Dormitories   
                             Nursery/Boys’ Dormitories/Girls’ Playroom/Washroom

3 Princess Mary Wing:   Boys’ Common Room/Study/Boot Room/Washrooms/Boys’ Dormitories/Bathrooms/Master's accommodation
4
Gymnasium Wing:      Gymnasium/Stage/Apparatus Room/Sewing Room/Wash Rooms/Toilet/Boot Room.

5 Shower Block

6 Greenhouse            (standing separately)

7 Gurney Wing:                located behind the original building (not visible on Photo) Girls’ Playroom & Dormitories/ Boys’ Dormitories

8 Gardener’s House:       located behind Greenhouse (not visible on Photo)


 

     Princess Mary, the Princess Royal, visits St George's House for the official opening of the newly built
     Boys Wing, on 31 May,1930.
     The Architect, Colonel R.B.Armistead of Bradford, presented Her Royal Highness with a gold key with
     which she unlocked the Wing. The door was thereafter known as the "The Princess Mary Door"


               
     
Princess Mary, the then Princess Royal and Patron of             Major Fawkes, Princess Mary, her husband Viscount
      St George's arriving at St George's with Major Fawkes            Lascelles aka Lord Harewood, Sir William Ingilby and Lady
      to officiate at the opening of the new Boys Wing.                 Ingilby of Ripley Castle, Yorkshire.  

 
                 
     
Princess Mary with Major Fawkes coming down the red            Some of the visitors and police, present during the visit !
      carpeted front steps of St George's, followed by
      Sir William Ingilby and Viscount Lascelles

                                    St George's House 

The second location:  Albany Lodge, 16 Hereford St, Harrogate. 1955 - 1956

                                                                             

After St George's was relocated to Albany Lodge in 1955 the buildings and land where sold, later all structures were demolished
and the site redeveloped. The Police Convalescent Home building (later known as St Andrew's) and an area of land, being on a separate title, were unaffected and remains fully operational in all aspects of Police convalescence, view their website by visiting it via our Contact/Links page.
The Northern Police Convalescent & Treatment Centre as it is now known, is a Registered Charity (number 220956) and is funded almost entirely by donations from serving officers and members of the public.

 

                        

Return to top of Page

    

                                                                                                      
                                                                                                       Deus vult

                                          Email contact: stgeorgesharrogate@gmail.com

 

 

 

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional