St George's House,
Otley Road, Harrogate, Yorkshire, England.
In 1906 an
extension was built containing a Gymnasium at the Northern end and a
large hall, with raised platform to be used as a stage, constructed.
When Miss Knocker was appointed Lady
Superintendent in 1926, she immediately commenced a renovation program.
The Dining Room was enlarged, the
house interior painted throughout and brightly coloured linoleum laid in
the children’s rooms. The Main Entrance, Foyer and Staircase were also refurbished. In 1928 it was decided to build
a new wing for the boys, with studies, bathrooms and a flat for the
staff, all financed, as far as possible,
from the War Memorial Fund.
Following are photographs of some of the
facilities used by the children.
Dining Room, (1932) ready for use.
..and being put to good use.
Boy's Common Room
Gymnasium 1933 Girl's Playroom
Boy's Study 1930 Girls Dormitory
St George's House, Albany Lodge,
16 Hereford St, Harrogate, Yorkshire, England.
Due to the declining
numbers of children the orphanage was relocated in 1955 to Albany Lodge.
The Lady Superintendent at that time was Miss Elisabeth Pearl Duke
Turner, who served in that capacity from 1949 - 1956, at which time the
orphanage was finally closed.
The Senior Girls' Bedroom
The Kitchen - Dining Room
The Boot - Room